Microsoft Disabling Users’ Anti-virus Programs?

Microsoft admitted that they disable parts of users’ anti-virus software on computers running Windows 10 in order to push out the Windows 10 Creators Update. According to BBC News, the reason that Microsoft openly admitted to this is that one of the most popular anti-virus companies, Kaspersky Lab, filed a complaint with the European Commission advising that Microsoft was doing this to try to push users toward’s their own anti-virus software. Kaspersky Lab’s reasoning behind filing the complaint is because they feel that Microsoft is already dominating the anti-virus industry so why is Microsoft ‘flexing’ its power even further by doing this? Microsoft did have very good reasonings behind their logic, though.

Roughly 3,000 malware samples are out here floating around the internet, waiting to infect users’ computers and/or steal valuable, private information, and Microsoft confirms that they work with 80 third-party anti-virus and anti-malware software developers through a program called Microsoft Virus Initiative (MVI) in order to give their users a choice of their anti-virus software providers and to make sure that the software is compatible with Windows 10 systems. MVI was created so that Microsoft can share pertinent information and specific details with their anti-virus partners in order to come up with solutions for current problems and to protect their users in the future.

When Microsoft’s most recent Windows 10 Creators Update was released about 95% of users’ computers were running anti-virus software programs that were compatible with the update. For the other 5% that were running anti-virus software that wasn’t compatible Microsoft built in a new feature which allowed the user to update their computers and then re-install a newer version of the anti-virus program that they are currently using.

Though Microsoft claims that it uses Windows Defender to protect the user while disabling parts of their anti-virus software, which does have over a 99% detection rating of malware and viruses, it’s still a big concern to users that Microsoft is taking it upon themselves to do this when they’re already on top of the anti-virus industry.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40356889